Pot-au-feu de la mer (Seafood Stew) Recipe
- 1 Tbs. of Butter
- 1/4 cup of Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 1/2 lbs. of white fish, such as cod or halibut, cut in pieces
- 2 Tbs. of Calvados (apple brandy)
- 3/4 cup of White Wine
- 5 cups of fish stock [could be made with Knorr fish bouillon cubes]
- 2 Tbs Rice
- 1/2 sprig of thyme
- 1/2 bay leave
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne Powder for garnish
- Chervil (or parsley) for garnish
Melt the butter in a soup pot. Fry the onion and the carrot for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and the fish.
Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add a splash of Calvados (=apple brandy). Ignite.
Now add the wine. Incorporate the fish stock and bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the thyme and bay leave.. Salt and pepper to taste.. Garnish with cayenne powder and chervil. See glossary for recipe ingredients you’re not familiar with.