Hot & Sour Shrimp Soup (Tom Yum Goong) Recipe
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced on a bias in 2-inch pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-inch piece fresh galangal or ginger, sliced
- 2 red chiles, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, such as nam pla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can straw mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled with tails on
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Bring the stock to the boil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and chiles. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes to let the spices infuse the broth.
Uncover and add the fish sauce, sugar, and mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes. Toss in the shrimp and cook for about 8 minutes until they turn pink. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, green onions, and cilantro.
Taste for salt and spices; you should have an equal balance of spicy, salty, and sour. It’s a good idea to tell your guest’s that the lemongrass and lime leaves are for flavor only and should be avoided when eating the soup.