Cantonese Chicken Corn Soup Recipe
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger—peeled
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¾ cup canned creamed corn
- 1 oz (30g) dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed to a paste with 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup skinless rotisserie chicken breast—finely shredded
- 1 scallion (spring onion)—thinly sliced
CRUSH the piece of ginger with the side of a large knife blade, keeping it in one piece. PUT the ginger, stock, soy sauce and sesame oil in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
REDUCE the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, then remove the piece of ginger. ADD the creamed corn, noodles and scallion and simmer for a further 3 minutes. STIR in the cornstarch paste and keep stirring as the soup thickens. ADD the shredded chicken breast, warm through, then serve.
Variations: Replace the chicken with shredded fresh crab, surimi or flaked canned tuna.