Thai Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small pumpkin, skinned and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 2/3 cups canned coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass, finely chopped*
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a large pot, heat oil and gently cook onion with brown sugar and garlic over low heat until softened (8-10 minutes). Add chopped pumpkin, water, coconut cream, chili, lemongrass or rindand fish sauce. Season with freshly ground pepper. Simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.
Remove and puree until smooth. Just before serving, adjust seasoning to taste. Mix in chopped cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a fresh cilantro leaf.
*The same amount of grated lemon peel can be substituted.