Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
80z-225gm 1 cup of green peas (soak peas in water overnight, rinse and drain.
1.5litres-2.5 pints of ham stock water
1 ham shank,soak overnight in water to remove salt, throw away the water.
2 carrots chopped
2 onions chopped
1 leek sliced finely
3 bay leaves
salt and fresh ground black pepper
Place the ham shank in a large pan and cover with water, add bay leaves and seasoning, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 mins until the ham is cooked. Remove the cooked ham from the bone and put in reserve.
In a separate pan place the soaked peas, cover with the ham stock and bring to the boil. Add the leek, onion and carrots. Add the ham bone, taste and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes. Remove the ham bone and liquidise the soup in a blender. Return to the pan and simmer.
Serve the soup with the diced ham as a garnish.
1. Use yellow split peas as an alternative.
2. Use split peas and green peas.
3. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs such as parsley or coriander.
4. Add more carrots or do more peas and leave out the carrots.
5. Experiment with the flavours and ingredients that you enjoy.