Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
Firstly some facts about these great vegetables.
Leeks are a great vegetable at this time of the year for soup recipes.
These are the ingredients I use for Leek and Potato Soup and below is the finished soup.
6 leeks washed and sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped fine
1 onion peeled and fine diced
4 large potatoes peeled and diced
Swiss vegetable bouillon to make 2 pints/1 litre of stock
olive oil or unsalted butter to fry
salt and pepper
fresh sage leaves or dried sage
1. Heat the olive oil or butter to medium heat and fry the onion as and garlic until soft, garlic will burn if the oil is to hot .
2. Add leeks and cook for 5 to 10 minutes
3. Add potatoes and cook for 5 to 10 minutes
4. Add stock, salt and pepper, fresh sage or dried and cook for 30 minutes .
5. Puree all the soup in a blender.
Serve with fresh sage leaves.
VARIATIONS ON THE BASIC
1. garnish with crispy bacon.
2. garnish with chopped ham
3. garnish with stilton
4. garnish with parmesan shavings
5. Only blend half the soup
6. use tarragon,mixed herbs,thyme, or another fresh herb
7. Add cream, creme fraiche or yogurt
8. add chickpeas
9. add beans such as borloti, black eye, haricot, butter bean
10. Substitute parsnips for the potatoes
11. Add lemon rind and lemon juice to serve
12. Make without potatoes and use some white wine as part of the stock
Thanks for reading