Irish Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, white and pale green parts only, rinsed well and thinly sliced
- 3 large potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped kale, parsley, spinach, or turnip greens–or a combination
- 6 cups good-quality vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives or scallions
- Shredded sharp Irish cheddar cheese
1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot over low heat, melt the butter and add onion and leeks. Cover pot and allow vegetables to “sweat” for 20 minutes.
2. Add potato, stirring to mix, then cover again and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broth and salt and pepper to taste, and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer soup 20 minutes, or until potato is just tender. Add greens and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until they are well wilted.
3. Process soup in batches in a blender or food processor, or with a hand-held immersion blender. Return to soup pot and reheat.
See glossary for recipe ingredients you’re not familiar with.