Hearty Balck Bean Soup Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup black beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt to taste
1. In a large soup pot, bring water, beans, and bay leaves to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
2. In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add cumin seeds, garlic, onions, and carrots. Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add the sautéed vegetables to the beans and add cauliflower, bell pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes. Continue to simmer for around 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Stir in cilantro and salt to taste.
See glossary for recipe ingredients you’re not familiar with.
Serves 4 – 6.