Curried Pumpkin & Peanut Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith?s or other tart apple, peeled and grated
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
- 2 cups homemade or canned mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts or cilantro for garnish
In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, cover the pan, lower the heat, and let the onion gently cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the grated apple, cover the pan again, and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, then the pumpkin. Thoroughly mix in the peanut butter. Add 2 cups water, the salt, and cayenne. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
Purée the soup in a blender or processor. Return it to the pan and add another cup of water. Reheat the soup and taste. Add more salt and cayenne if you like, and more water if you want a thinner soup. Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of peanuts or cilantro to garnish.