Curried Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 cups water or good-quality vegetable broth
- 4 1/2 cups unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions and cumin and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until onions soften and ingredients are fragrant.
2. Add water or broth, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, cinnamon, and turmeric. Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
3. Add green beans, cardamom, curry powder, and salt. Simmer covered for another 5 minutes or until beans are tender.
4. Serve garnished with scallions.